Hi Everyone 🙂
It’s that time of the week again..time for another FIT post 😀
Today I want to write specifically to those who are lacking the time and convenience to workout or who don’t enjoy going to the gym and have to fight for a piece for equipment.
Now, just so that we are on the same page, I absolutely LOVE going to the gym. I love the community and the motivation I get there, and I also appreciate having a lot of different weights I can use. My gym has tons of space and is at a close distance from my home.
I know many of you might not have the same convenience or are simply not comfortable going a gym full of strangers you have to share equipment with. I know it can be quite intimidating at first.
We all have different fitness goals. Some of you love working out to feel good and have a great sweat, while many of you may simply want to try this working out thing to shed the fat and look good for the summer. If your goal is not to prepare for a huge fitness competition than working out at home is definitely something I recommend you try. It is better to get a sweat at home rather than not working out at all.
I want to show you how you can get an amazing workout, reach your fitness goals at the comfort of your own home by setting up your own living room/home gym with little equipment.
I got inspired to write a post about this when I started getting a workout here and there at home, and every time I did, I realized the following benefits:
Why you should have a home gym – my list
- I save tons of time – I can get my workout done without the hassle of driving to the gym, or having to prepare my gym bag and all that stuff (You know what I’m talking about).
- Save cash $ – lots of cash on gym memberships!
- I focus on me throughout the whole workout – I don’t have to think about people judging me, or my facial expression trying to get that last repetition in 😉
- I can wear whatever I want, any comfortable clothing you have without worrying about how you look or if that creep is still looking at you.
- Short dance breaks in between sets 😉
- 100% focus on my workout and exercises with zero distractions or people trying to talk to you
- I can practice new moves – I am working on my pistol squats, Kettlebell exercises variations, handstands, and overhead squats. I like practicing these at home knowing I will probably make many mistakes and not feel embarrassed ha!
- Convenient shower :p I just thought of this now!
As you can see there are solid benefits that may encourage you to build your fitness space at home. It is better to do a workout at home with little to no equipment than not exercising at all because you don’t have time to go to the gym.
I really encourage you to have a small space anywhere where you can exercise.
I started my living room gym with a yoga mat and a sandbag I purchased for $40 total. The sandbag was very good it is a versatile piece of equipment that you can do pretty much any exercise with, however a kettlebell or a pair of dumbbells would work amazingly too. You can find used ones at your local buy and sell website or buy new ones – they are a good long-term investment.
I want to share down below everything I use at home to get an amazing intense fat loss workout and also muscle building training any time I want. You can get everything on this list under $100 if you are smart about it. I started with my sandbag $49 and started adding few things here and there that I felt would be fun to add. You don’t have to.
How to build your home gym – my list of home gym essentials.
- Incline Fit Extra Thick and Long Comfort Foam Yoga/Exercise Mat (optional)- any yoga mat would work really. I bought this one recently and it is AH-MAZING. Super thick and comfy so I’m sure it would help if you have any wrist pain.
- SKLZ Super Sandbag – Heavy Duty Training Weight Bag $49 – this sandbag is actually a great investment. I don’t use it that much anymore because I am getting more into kettlebells lately, but I still use it to hit my shoulders and also legs. I love how functional it is. I put small rocks and gravel inside the little bags and they work better than sand I think.
- NeeBooFit Resistance Loop Band Set – I purchased this while I was having Piriformis Syndrome issues and this helped me with hip strengthening exercises. I use the heavy band before every leg workout to prevent injury.
- SlingShot Hip Circle – my new favorite toy. This is something I use during leg days. I put that around my thighs and my glutes are activated instantly. This should fix your squat in a flash.
- Kettlebell – I got a 20 lbs kettlebell and another 40 lbs Kettlebell from the Fitness Experience store and they both cost me $90. This was a recent purchase and I probably could have bought them second hand for a cheaper price but they weren’t any available yet and I didn’t want to wait.
- Stability ball – I use this to hit my abs and also hamstrings. Stability balls are very cheap and you can get them at Walmart.
- Gymboss timer.
- TriggerPoint GRID Foam Roller with Free Online Instructional Videos – I bought this a year ago when I realized how IMPORTANT it is to foam roll, and also how expensive massage therapy sessions are lol 😉
- Tennis ball – I love using the tennis ball against the wall to massage the glutes and Piriformis muscle. I love how I can control the pressure easily and that helps me when I have low back pain because I can do a gentle massage with a small tennis ball 🙂
With this, I can literally do any workout I want. I love training with kettlebells because I don’t think there is a better way to target your full body muscle groups and lose fat at the same time.
I incorporate my stability ball to get an abs burn. The timer allows me to get the most out of my workouts and save time. A kettlebell, a yoga mat (optional), a timer would be all you need for kick-ass workouts, believe me 😉 all these three can be acquired for under $100.
The resistance bands are more for warm ups, you don’t necessarily need them.
The foam roller and tennis ball are things I use on a daily basis to prevent injury.
I encourage you to pick a small space anywhere at your home and start exercising. I will be posting bodyweight workouts you can do at your comfort of your own home with little to no equipment. Once you get comfortable with that, you can invest in a kettlebell or couple dumbbells for more challenge 😉
I hope you found this post helpful, if any questions, please share in the comment area below.
Hey! My name is Sofia and I’m here to help you eliminate lower back pain and piriformis syndrome without spending years in pain stuck in temporary fixes. Click here to learn more about me and how I can help you…