Today I am sharing a simple, yet delicious low carb grilled cheese sandwich. Only this time, we are not using regular sandwich bread 😉 #saywhaaat
I used to be a huge bread lover (I still am). Every meal had to have a piece of bread that goes with it. Since I have been eating a very low starch diet lately, I haven’t touched regular bread in more than a month. I can’t deny the early cravings weren’t hard but I definitely have seen amazing benefits from my current nutrition protocol that I’m not planning on re-introducing wheat anytime soon.
PS: Need help introducing anti-inflammatory superfoods to help with chronic back pain and hip inflammation?! here is a mini e-book full of recipes for your convenience!
Having only fewer choices of flours that are low starch can make things a bit hard for baking, but it also pushes me to get more creative in the kitchen. The only two types of flours I have been using are coconut and almond flours. Coconut flour is a bit tough to work with as it crumbles easily when used alone. Almond flour can also be harsh on the intestines when consumed a lot.
- RELATED: Low carb pumpkin cookies
My first couple trials did not go well to be honest. I failed miserably :p. The coconut flour alone was a disaster, I ended up eating the whole thing with a spoon – which was not too bad since the taste is all that matters right?
Anyway, I finally figured out the right recipe for this delicious low starch sandwich and decided to share it with you all.
LOW CARB GRILLED CHEESE SANDWICH
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup of almond flour
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp melted butter
- 1 tbsp butter (pan)
- Few slices of mozzarella cheese
- Start with mixing all the ingredients in a bowl, except for the extra butter we want to use to grill.
- Add some water or coconut oil until you reach a smooth paste.
- You can transfer the batter into a microwave safe dish - Either use a round or square dish.
- Microwave for about 1.5 minutes.
- Make sure the mixture is firm and transfir it into normal dish.
- Slice in half and place the cheese slices inside the toast.
- Now we contrinue with the tranditional way of making a grilled sandwich:
- Heat up the pan and add the rest of the butter.
- Grill each side of the sandwich for about half a minute. Flip and grill some more.
- Add more butter as necessary until the cheese starts melting.
- Although this recipe is super delicious, keep in mind that we are not using regular flour here. This recipe is high in fat rather than carbs.
- Healthy fats will not make you fat. period.
- If you experience nut sensitivity, you can reduce the almond flour to 1 tbsp. Use coconut flour instead and add one egg.
- This recipe is very filling and light at the same time and it makes a great pre-workout snack!
PS: don’t forget to download your free smoothies ebook! I put together my best anti-inflammatory smoothie recipes that help with chronic joint pain, bloating and inflammation.